This post contains affiliate links. I make a commission from sales. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Air fryer coconut shrimp is perfect for an appetizer or part of your main meal. The batter gets crispy without the use of a deep fryer and it pairs perfectly with the homemade sweet and sour sauce.
If you’re looking for something easy and delicious to make in the air fryer, this air fryer coconut shrimp is it! It’s easy to assemble and the shrimp is flavorful with the coconut breading and the homemade sweet and sour sauce makes the perfect dipping sauce.
This also works great as part of a main meal, paired with your favorite side dish.
What is coconut shrimp?
As the title suggests, it’s a dish using shrimp and coconut as the main ingredients. The shrimp is coated in a batter containing coconut and air fried to crispy perfection.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- A healthier way to serve coconut shrimp without deep frying
- Perfect as an appetizer or part of a main meal
- Perfect for families or gatherings
- A unique way to prepare shrimp
What you’ll need to make this recipe.
- Raw shrimp
- All-purpose flour
- Panko bread crumbs
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Granulated sugar
- White vinegar
How to make this recipe
Homemade sweet and sour sauce
1 -In a saucepan over medium high heat, combine all the sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn off the heat and let it sit.
1 – In 3 separate bowls, whisk the eggs in one bowl, mix the flour and cornstarch in another bowl, and mix the coconut and panko bread crumbs in the third bowl.
2 – Dip the shrimp in the flour and cornstarch bowl, then the egg wash bowl, and then finally in the panko coconut bowl.
3 – Place battered shrimp in air fryer basket and spray with oil. Cook on 390 degrees for 7 minutes.
How do I store leftover coconut shrimp?
Allow shrimp to cool to room temperature. Place shrimp in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can I freeze leftover coconut shrimp?
Yes, place shrimp in freezer safe container or bag, and freeze for up to 2 months.
To reheat, cook for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven, or until shrimp reaches a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees.
How do I store leftover sweet and sour sauce?
Place the cooled sauce in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Calories per serving (approximately 6 shrimp and 4 tbsp of sauce): 348
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp chili oil, optional for heat
- 1 lb of shrimp, peeled to the tail, raw
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch
- 3/4 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1. In a saucepan over medium high heat, combine all the sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Once it coes to a boil, turn off the heat and let it sit.
1. In 3 separate bowls, whisk the eggs in one bowl, mix the flour and cornstarch in another bowl, and mix the coconut and panko bread crumbs in the third bowl.
2. Dip the shrimp in the flour and cornstarch bowl, then the egg wash bowl, and then finally in the panko coconut bowl.
3. Place battered shrimp in air fryer basket and spray with oil. Cook on 390° for 7 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Tongs With Nylon Heads,12 Inch,1 EA
New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups Combo, Set of 8
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 6) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set - Easy To Clean, Nesting Bowls for Space Saving Storage, Great for Cooking, Baking, Prepping
Power Air Fryer XL 5.3 Quart
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 235mgSodium: 993mgCarbohydrates: 98gFiber: 5gSugar: 20gProtein: 30g
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Other air fryer recipes you’ll love
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!