This low-calorie banana bread recipe is only 74 calories per slice. This bread is also a great low-fat alternative to traditional banana breads.
Banana bread is one of my favorites and this recipe is lower in calories than most. My biggest advice when making banana bread is to use well-ripened bananas because their sweetness and moisture affect the taste and texture of the bread. The riper the banana the better it will be for bread making. The banana should look like it’s almost rotten with brown spots because it will be sweeter and will work much better with this texture.
What is a banana?
As surprising as this may sound, bananas are considered berries. Bananas develop from a flower with a single ovary and have a soft skin, fleshy middle and small seeds. As a result, they meet the requirements of a berry and can be considered both a fruit and berry. A bunch of bananas is called a hand, and a single banana is a finger. Ecuador is the leading producer of bananas worldwide, followed by the Philippines.
Are bananas healthy?
Bananas are high in potassium, antioxidants and fiber. They can also be a good way to get magnesium and vitamins C and B6.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Lower in calories and fat than most banana breads
- Great for a quick breakfast or snack
- Perfect to meal prep and eat during the week
What you’ll need to make this recipe.
- Ripe bananas – Ripe bananas add to the sweetness of this bread
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Vanilla extract
- Baking Powder
- Skim milk
How to make this recipe
1 – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray two mini-baking pans with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
2 – In a medium sized mixing bowl, add all the ingredients except the flour. Gently mix by hand until everything is mixed and the batter is smooth.
3 – Add in the flour and stir until combined.
4 – Divide the batter between the two baking pans. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
5 – Let the bread cool, then cut each loaf into 6 slices.
For a little more flavor to the bread you could also add in some chocolate chips.
How do I store banana bread?
Wrap banana bread in plastic wrap, aluminum foil, or place in an airtight container. The banana bread will last for about 1 to 2 days at normal room temperature, and up to about a week by refrigerating it.
Can I freeze banana bread?
Yes! Wrap banana bread tightly in plastic wrap or place in an airtight container. The banana bread will maintain best quality for about 2 to 3 months in the freezer.
Calories per serving (1 slice): 74
This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full disclosure here.
Low-Calorie Banana Bread
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp skim milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray two mini-baking pans with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add all ingredients except the flour. Gently mix by hand until everything is mixed and the batter is smooth.
- Add flour. Stir until combined.
- Divide batter between the two baking pans. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool. Cut each loaf into 6 slices. Enjoy!
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.