This post contains affiliate links. I make a commission from sales. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Easy air fryer breaded sea scallops are a fun dinner idea and the breading and seasoning add a nice touch. They go well with your favorite side dish.
These air fryer breaded sea scallops are a unique way of serving scallops. The air fryer cooks these perfectly and the breading gives them a nice touch. They are perfect for an easy appetizer or part of a main meal.
What are sea scallops?
Scallops are related to clams, mussels, and oysters, meaning the interior muscle is surrounded by two shells. They are found in saltwater environments worldwide.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Unique way of cooking and serving scallops
- Delicious breading that adds more flavor
- Cooked to perfection in the air fryer
- Great as an appetizer or main meal
What you’ll need to make this recipe.
- Fresh sea scallops
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Traditional bread crumbs
- Old Bay seasoning
How to make this recipe
The easiest way to prep the scallops is to have 3 separate gallon sized zip top resealable bags. One with the olive oil. The second one with the salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. The third one with the bread crumbs and Old Bay seasoning.
1 – Place the scallops in the bag with the olive oil, sealing the top and lightly shaking the bag until the scallops are covered in the oil. Remove scallops from the olive oil, then transfer them to the bag with the seasonings.
Seal the top and give them a good shake, lightly coating the scallops. After that, move the scallops to the bag with the breadcrumbs, then seal and shake to coat the scallops.
2 – Remove the basket from the air fryer and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray, then space out the scallops in the air fryer basket. You will likely need to cook them in a couple batches so they aren’t overcrowded in the basket.
3 – Cook at 400 degrees for 12 minutes, up to 15 minutes if the scallops are larger. Every air fryer cooks a bit differently, so you’ll want to keep an eye on the scallops so they don’t burn.
Using a meat thermometer check the internal temperature. The scallops are cooked through and safe to eat when the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees.
How do I store my leftover scallops?
Place cooled scallops in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can I freeze my leftover scallops?
Yes! Place cooled scallops in a freezer safe container or freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Then, reheat until they’re warm to eat again.
Calories per serving (approximately 4 oz): 189
- 12 oz fresh sea scallops, defrosted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup traditional bread crumbs
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- Add olive oil to a large bowl, or resealable bag. Add scallops and coat thoroughly.
- Combine the salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder to a second bowl, or bag. Transfer scallops from olive oil to seasonings and toss to coat.
- Combine bread crumbs and Old Bay seasoning to third bowl, or bag. Transfer scallops from seasonings to bread crumb mix and toss to coat.
- Remove the basket from the air fryer and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. Space out the scallops in the basket. You may need to cook scallops in a couple batches so they aren’t overcrowded.
- Cook at 400° for 12 minutes. Up to 15 minutes if the scallops are larger, reaching an internal tempertaure of 145°.
- Serving size is measured at 4 oz of sea scallops.
- Scallops are considered cooked through and safe to eat when the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees.
- Different air fryer brands may cook at different rates, so be sure to keep on eye on food.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Habor 022 Meat Thermometer, Instant Read Thermometer Digital Cooking Thermometer, Candy Thermometer with Super Long Probe for Kitchen BBQ Grill Smoker Meat Oil Milk Yogurt Temperature
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 6) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set - Easy To Clean, Nesting Bowls for Space Saving Storage, Great for Cooking, Baking, Prepping
New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups Combo, Set of 8
Power Air Fryer XL 5.3 Quart
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 725mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 15g
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Other air fryer recipes you’ll love
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!