Broiled Chicken Kabobs Low-Calorie
It’s that time of year to break out the skewers to make kabobs. Kabobs are a popular summertime food. Almost synonymous with summer. Kabobs are easy to make, and easily interchangeable to your tastes. Pretty much any meats and veggies work.
Summertime is also the perfect time to fire up the grill. While making kabobs are an excellent grill food, they can also be cooked indoors without a grill. Indoor grills are pretty awesome especially on those scorching outdoor days. However, popping the kabobs for a quick broil in the oven is also a great and efficient way to cook them.
The process of making kabobs is simple. Most of the work goes into chopping up the meat and veggies. Once they’re all chopped up in nice little pieces, I marinate everything in a big Ziploc bag for about 30 minutes to an hour. They can also be marinated longer, up to 8 hours. Once they’re done marinating, the vegetables and chicken get threaded onto the skewers in any pattern.
While the chicken and vegetables are marinating, I soak the skewers in water for at least 30 minutes. Soaking the skewers before cooking helps prevent the skewers from becoming black and charred. I line a baking sheet with foil and arrange the kabobs evenly across the baking sheet. Also, be sure to turn the oven onto high broil for about 15-20 minutes before broiling to ensure the oven is nice and hot.
Once the kabobs go into the oven they are done and ready to eat in under 10 minutes. Not too bad for indoor kabob cooking! They still taste wonderful and will get gobbled up quickly. My Italian pasta salad pairs nicely and makes a perfect side dish.
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Calories per serving (1 kabob): 203
This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full disclosure here.
Broiler Chicken Kabobs Low-Calorie
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lite soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 red onion, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2" pieces
- Place the olive oil, soy sauce, honey, garlic, and salt and pepper into a large bowl, or Ziploc.
- Combine well. Add the chicken and all the vegetables to the marinade. Toss to coat in the marinade.
- Cover bowl, or zip Ziploc, and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes. Up to 8 hours if desired.
- While chicken and vegetables are marinating, soak skewers in cold water, at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler to high, and let preheat for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Thread the chicken and vegetables onto the skewers. Arrange in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Broil on one side for 4 minutes. Turn kabobs and broil for another 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!