American flag skinny cake is a fun way to celebrate and be patriotic while not overindulging on sweets. This cake is made without eggs or oil and is under 200 calories per serving.
The 4th of July is right around the corner. Whether you’re seeing any family or friends, or just keeping it low key at home, it’s always nice to celebrate with themed food. This sheet cake is made with a white cake, whipped topping, and decorated with fresh fruit.
It’s fun to celebrate while also having a lower calorie option around. The best part is this cake doesn’t even taste like it’s lower in calories, even though there’s no eggs or oil used. It’s super easy to make and kids can help bake and decorate too!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Made from a boxed mix, so less fuss
- Fun way to celebrate Independence Day
- Made without oil for less calories
- Moist and flavorful
What you’ll need to make this recipe.
- White cake mix
- Fat free vanilla greek yogurt
- Sugar free whipped topping
How to make this recipe
1 – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2 – In a large bowl, add the the cake mix, Greek yogurt and water.
3 – Mix until well blended, then pour cake mixture into the prepared baking pan.
4 – Bake for about 25 minutes.
5 – Once the cake has cooled, defrost the tub of whipped topping and spread over the top of the cake as frosting
6 – Slice strawberries into slices. I get about 4-5 slices per strawberry, but will depend on the size of your strawberries.
7 – Decorate cake like the American flag. I use 25 blueberries to make 5 rows of 5 in the upper lefthand corner. Followed by 5 rows of sliced strawberries.
How do I store my flag cake?
The cake will need to be refrigerated once frosted with the whipped topping. Store your cake, in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Can I freeze a my cake?
Yes! However, I would suggest freezing before adding the whipped topping. Once you’re ready to remove from freezer it will take about 2-3 hours to thaw.
Calories per serving (1 slice): 199
This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full disclosure here.
American Flag Skinny Cake
- 15.25 oz box white cake mix
- 1 cup fat free vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 8 oz tub sugar-free whipped topping, thawed
- 25 raw blueberries
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 13x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, water, and Greek yogurt. Mix for about 1 minute or until well blended. Pour mixture into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Check with toothpick in center to see if done. Let cool.
- Frost with thawed whipped topping. Decorate with bluberries and sliced strawberries.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- To decorate cake like the American flag: I use 25 blueberries to make 5 rows of 5 in the upper lefthand corner. Followed by 5 rows of sliced strawberries.
Other recipes you’ll love
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!