Lemon Cake with Pineapple Filling – Lower-Calorie Dessert
Lemon cake with pineapple filling is light, flavorful and the perfect after dinner or party treat.
Pineapple and lemon are a match made in heaven. The flavor combination of this lemon cake with pineapple filling is delicious. It makes a great summer dessert too since it’s so light. This is one my whole family loves and it was gobbled up so quickly there was barely any leftover for the next day. I love when that happens though because I know the recipe is a success.
What the benefits of pineapple?
Pineapples are packed with a variety of vitamins and minerals. They are low in calories and rich in vitamin C and manganese. They are also a good source of antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties that may boost the immune system.
The process to make this cake is pretty simple. I lightened it up quite a bit so it would be lower in calories. For the cake I used a lemon cake mix, Greek yogurt and water. With a hand mixer, mix the ingredients well and divide the batter in two round cake pans. These three ingredients make a super moist cake. The cakes will bake in about 15 minutes. Once they are baked, let them cook a bit and them flip them out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.
The frosting is made of whipped topping, instant pudding mix and some vanilla extract. Lemon flavored pudding mix would be great, but vanilla is also good. It depends how strong you want the lemon flavor to be. Mix the ingredients thoroughly together and set aside.
For the pineapple filling, I use canned crushed pineapple and mix in a bit of the whipped topping frosting. Just enough to give the mixture a slightly spreadable consistency. I put the filling between two stacked cakes, then frosted the cakes.
Does Lemon Cake with Pineapple Filling need to be refrigerated?
Yes. I don’t recommend leaving the whipped topping frosting unrefrigerated more than 2 hours.
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Ingredients for Lemon Cake with Pineapple Filling
- Lemon cake mix
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Crushed pineapple
- Lite whipped topping
- Sugar-free instant pudding
- Vanilla extract
- Skim milk
Calories per serving (1 slice): 210
This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full disclosure here.
Lemon Cake with Pineapple Filling - Lower-Calorie Dessert
- 1 15.25 oz box lemon cake mix
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup crush pineapple, drained I used canned crushed pineapple in pineapple juice
- 1 8 oz tub lite whipped topping
- 1 oz box of sugar-free instant pudding vanilla or lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 2 - 9" round cake pans with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, Greek yogurt and water. Mix for about 1 minute or until well blended. Divide in half, and pour mixture into prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Check with toothpick in center to see if done. After 5 minutes, flip cakes over onto wire racks. Let cool.
- In medium bowl, combine whipped topping, pudding mix, vanilla and milk. Mix well.
- Reserve 1/4 cup frosting. Set frosting aside.
- Once crushed pineapple is drained well, add in the reserved 1/4 cup of frosting. Mix together well.
- Place one cake round on a plate. Top evenly with pineapple mixture. Place other cake round on top forming a sandwich.
- Frost cake with remaining frosting until all cake is covered.
- Place crushed pineapple in strainer until juices strain out, about 15 minutes. You will want as much of the pineapple juice to run out as possible so pineapple mixture is not soggy.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!
If you like Lemon Cake with Pineapple Filling, then you might also like: