This post contains affiliate links. I make a commission from sales. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Strawberry lemon layer cake is a lightened up cake with lots of flavor. Perfect for the Easter holiday.
Can you believe Easter is already right around the corner? Whether you’re celebrating with family or friends, there’s always dessert, right?
This strawberry lemon layer cake is really easy because it’s made with boxed cake mix, and it’s lightened up to have lesser calories.
The layers give the cake an overall wow factor and the fun colors are great for Spring.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Made from boxed mixes, so less fuss
- Colorful cake perfect for Spring
- Made without oil for less calories
- Moist and flavorful
What you’ll need to make this recipe.
- Strawberry cake mix
- Lemon cake mix
- Fat free vanilla Greek yogurt
- Skim milk
- Sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- Fat free whipped topping
- Vanilla extract
How to make this recipe
1 – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9” round cake pans with cooking spray.
2 – In a large mixing bowl, add the strawberry cake mix, Greek yogurt and water. Mix together well until all the ingredients are incorporated. Divide batter between the two cake pans.
3 – Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack before removing cake from pan.
4 – Repeat the same process with the lemon cake mix. In the end, there should be 4 cake rounds.
1 – In a large mixing bowl, add the vanilla pudding, milk and vanilla extract.
2 – Mix until thickened. Fold in the whipped topping.
Assembling the Cakes
1 – Once cakes are completely cooled, place one lemon cake on a cake stand, or plate, and lightly frost the top with a layer of the whipped topping frosting.
2 – Repeat, alternating cake flavors. Once all cakes are stacked, completely frost the stack of cakes over the top and sides.
Enjoy immediately, or keep refrigerated.
How do I store my cake?
Place frosted cake in an airtight container, or wrap with plastic wrap to avoid the cake drying out. Properly stored in the refrigerator, the cake should last for 3-4 days.
How do I store my frosting?
Place frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to for 3-4 days.
Calories per serving (1 slice): 263
- 15.25 oz box lemon cake mix
- 15.25 oz strawberry cake mix
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt, divided
- 2 cups water, divided
- 8 oz tub lite whipped topping
- 1 oz box sugar-free instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 2 - 9" round cake pans with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together lemon cake mix, 1 cup Greek yogurt and 1 cup water. Mix for about 1 minute or until well blended. Divide in half, and pour mixture into prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Check with toothpick in center to see if done. After 5 minutes, flip cakes over onto wire racks. Let cool.
- Repeat with strawberry cake mix.
- In medium bowl, combine whipped topping, pudding mix, vanilla and milk. Mix well.
- Place one lemon cake round on a plate or cake stand. Spread a thin, even layer of frosting on top. Place strawberry cake round on top forming a sandwich. Spread with a thin, even layer or frosting. Repeat until all layers have been frosted.
- Frost the rest of the cake over the top and sides. Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips 3-piece Silicone Spatula Set, Raspberry/White/Green
New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups Combo, Set of 8
SHARDOR Hand Mixer 350W Power Advantage Electric Handheld Mixers with 5 Stainless Steel Attachments(2 Beaters, 2 Dough Hooks and 1 Whisk), Storage Case, Silver
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 6) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set - Easy To Clean, Nesting Bowls for Space Saving Storage, Great for Cooking, Baking, Prepping
Wilton Performance Aluminum Pan 9-Inch Round Cake Pans, Set of 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 481mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 2gSugar: 27gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Other recipes you’ll love
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!