Air fryer whole dry rub chicken has the perfect blend of dry rub spices. The chicken comes out of the air fryer moist and delicious.
Did you know you can cook a whole chicken in the air fryer? It’s another reason to love this kitchen appliance so much. The air fryer gives the outside of the chicken nice crispy skin, while the meat inside is nice and juicy. It’s such a versatile meal too. You can eat the chicken with your favorite salad or side dish or shred the chicken and use in another meal.
All you need is a whole raw chicken about 5 lbs, and several spices that you likely already have in your pantry.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Easy, no mess air fryer cooking
- Delicious mixture of dry rub spices
- Crispy skin, juicy meat
- Versatile, chicken can be used in other recipes too
- Chicken makes great meal prep for the week
What you’ll need to make this recipe.
- Whole raw chicken
- White pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Dried thyme
How to make this recipe
1 – Remove the chicken from any packaging and pat dry with a paper towel.
2 – Combine the salt, white pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne and thyme in a small bowl. Rub the spice mix all over the chicken.
3 – Place the chicken breast side down in the air fryer basket and cook at 370 degrees for 30 minutes. Flip the chicken over to breast side up and cook for an additional 30 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken should be at least 165 degrees. Measure this at the thickest part of the chicken near the bone. Continue cooking until chicken reaches temperature.
How do I store my leftover chicken?
Place cooled chicken in an airtight container, or wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Store in the refrigerator for 3 days.
Can I freeze my leftover chicken?
Yes! Place the cooled chicken in a freezer safe container or freezer bag. Store for up to 3 months.
Calories per serving (approximately 1/2 cup, so skin): 329
This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full disclosure here.
Air Fryer Dry Rub Whole Chicken
- 5 lb whole raw chicken
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Remove chicken from any packaging and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Combine salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne and thyme in a small bowl. Rub the spice mix all over the chicken.
- Place chicken breast side down in the air fryer basket. Cook at 370° for 30 minutes. Flip the chicken over to breast side up and cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until chicken reaches 165°.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. Nutrition facts for this recipe are measured without the skin and bones of the chicken.
- The internal temperature of the chicken should be at least 165 degrees. Measure this at the thickest part of the chicken near the bone. Continue cooking until chicken reaches temperature.
- Different air fryer brands may cook at different rates, so be sure to keep on eye on food.
Other air fryer recipes you’ll love
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!