This post contains affiliate links. I make a commission from sales. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
These canned jackfruit tacos make a great meatless meal. The consistency is similar to shredded chicken or pork and are perfect for tacos.
You can buy jackfruit fresh and cook with it that way, or buy it canned ready to use.
Working with canned jackfruit is easier than fresh because it’s already been brining and therefore softer and easier to work with. When you take the jackfruit out of the can it looks like chunks of meat.
I put it into a bowl and then used two forks to shred it apart. It looks like a bowl of shredded chicken at that point. If you are looking for a meatless meal option these canned jackfruit tacos are a nice alternative.
What is jackfruit?
Jackfruit is a bulbous fruit that comes from a jackfruit tree. These are mainly grown in Southeast Asia, but enjoyed all over the world. Jackfruit has a thick, green rind surrounding the fleshy inside. Luckily, it's also available prepped-in a can.
Is jackfruit healthy?
Jackfruit is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, vitamin B6 and fiber. Though jackfruit is a good swap for certain meat-based recipes, it doesn’t have a particularly high protein content.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Made with canned jackfruit
- Great meatless meal option
- Great family friendly meal
What you'll need to make this recipe.
- Canned jackfruit
- Olive oil
- Chili powder
- White corn tortillas
- Fat free sour cream
- Reduced fat shredded cheese
How to make this recipe
1 - Drain the can of brined jackfruit, put it in a bowl, and shred it with two forks to get consistency of shredded meat.
2 - Heat a skillet over medium-heat with ¼ cup of water.
3 - Add the shredded jackfruit and cover it with a lid. Let it steam for about 10 minutes or until water evaporates. Be sure to watch the jackfruit so it doesn’t burn. Remove the jackfruit from the skillet.
4 - Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for a minute.
5 - Add jackfruit, paprika, chili powder and cumin to skillet with jackfruit. Stir until well blended.
6 - Add juice of one lime, then remove from heat.
7 - Warm up corn tortillas either on stovetop or in microwave. Divide jackfruit mixture between the corn tortillas, then top with sour cream, cheese, and salsa. Serve warm.
How do I season jackfruit?
If you're looking for more ways to season jackfruit, it can be seasoned similar to the way meat is seasoned. Garlic, onion, crushed red peppers, cayenne and bbq sauce are some ways to season jackfruit.
How do I store cooked jackfruit?
Place jackfruit in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Can I freeze cooked jackfruit?
Yes, place cooked jackfruit in a freezer safe bag, or container. Stored properly, jackfruit can last up to 2 months.
Calories per serving (2 tacos): 291
- 20 ounce can green jackfruit (in brine)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon ground paprika
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- 1 lime, juiced
- 8 white corn tortillas
- 8 tablespoons salsa, divided
- 8 tablespoons fat free sour cream, divided
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheese, divided
- Drain can of brined jackfruit. Put in bowl and shred with two forks to get consistency of shredded meat.
- Heat skillet over medium heat with ¼ cup of water. Add shredded jackfruit, cover with lid. Let steam for about 10 minutes or until water evaporates. Watch so it doesn’t burn. Remove jackfruit.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for a minute. Add jackfruit, paprika, chili powder and cumin to skillet with jackfruit. Stir until well blended. Add juice of one lime then remove from heat.
- Warm up corn tortillas either on stovetop or in microwave. Divide jackfruit mixture between 8 corn tortillas. Top with sour cream, salsa, and shredded cheese. Serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips Utensil Set, 3-Piece,Brown
GreenPan Lima 12" Ceramic Non-Stick Covered Frypan, Gray - CW0004157
New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups Combo, Set of 8
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 6) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set - Easy To Clean, Nesting Bowls for Space Saving Storage, Great for Cooking, Baking, Prepping
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 579mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 8gSugar: 4gProtein: 11g
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.