This post contains affiliate links. I make a commission from sales. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Fish tacos with skinny chipotle sauce are the perfect quick, light meal. Low in fat and calories and very flavorful.
I’m a huge fan of seafood, especially fish tacos. They are one of my favorite go to meals when it comes to Taco Tuesday!
These fish tacos with skinny chipotle sauce are a must try. They are really easy to make too. Most of the time will be spent prepping, but it won’t take too long to assemble these tacos.
What is tilapia fish?
Tilapia is a freshwater, plant-eating, white fish that is mild in flavor. Currently, it is in the top 5 most consumed fish in the United States. Tilapia is an inexpensive and easy to prepare and cook.
What are the benefits of eating tilapia fish?
Tilapia is low in fat and a good source of protein. It has 26 grams of protein and only 128 calories in about 3.5 oz. Tilapia is rich in niacin, vitamin B12, phosphorus, selenium and potassium.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Healthy fish cooked in minimal oil
- Healthier chipotle sauce made with Greek yogurt
- Perfect for taco Tuesday
What you’ll need to make this recipe.
- Olive oil
- Tilapia fish
- Salt and Pepper
- White corn tortillas
- Red onion
- Greek yogurt
- Chipotles in adobo sauce
How to make this recipe
1 – Season the fish with salt and pepper.
2 – Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the tilapia in the oil until the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 4 minutes per side.
The chipotle sauce is my favorite topping for these tacos. It’s delicious and really dresses up the tacos with so much flavor. It’s also made using healthier ingredients.
3 – Add the Greek yogurt, chipotle peppers, lime and cilantro to a food processor and blend until everything is blended well together.
4 – Place the fish into the corn tortillas first, then add toppings. Finishing it off with a drizzle of the chipotle sauce.
I like to use a taco stand when assembling, so the tortillas stay in a taco shape, but laying the tortilla flat on a plate works too.
What toppings go well on fish tacos?
Pico de Gallo, cilantro, lettuce, corn, sour cream, avocado and tomato are popular toppings for fish tacos.
How do I store my leftover fish tacos?
Store the fish separate from the the sauce. It’s best to eat fish the day it’s cooked, but it can be placed in an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
When you’re ready to warm up the fish to eat again, place the fish in a single layer on a cookie sheet and broil on high for 3 to 4 minutes.
Place sauce in a separate airtight container or zip top bag and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Calories per serving (2 tacos): 220
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb tilapia fish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 white corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 small limes, sliced in wedges
For Chipotle Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp sauce from can of chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 chipotle chile, diced, from can of chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- Season both sides of each tilapia fillet with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the tilapia in the hot oil until the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 4 minutes per side.
- Place tortillas in a taco stand, or on a plate. Divide the fish into eight portions and place on tortillas. Top evenly with onion, cilantro and avocado. Place lime on the side for fresh squeezed lime flavor.
For Chipotle Sauce
- Add all ingredients into a food processor or blender. Process or blend until smooth.
- Top each taco with approximately 1 tbsp chipotle sauce. Enjoy!
- Warming tortillas will prevent them from ripping. Place tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds before assembling tacos.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pack of 4 - Stainless Steel Taco Holder Stand - Truck Tray Style - Each Rack Holds Up to 3 Tacos - Oven, Grill & Dishwasher Safe - Size 8" x 4" x 2"
Gorilla Grip Original Oversized Cutting Board, 3 Piece, BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen, Set of 3, Black
New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups Combo, Set of 8
GreenPan Lima 12" Ceramic Non-Stick Covered Frypan, Gray - CW0004157
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 231mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 28g
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Other seafood recipes you’ll love
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!