This post contains affiliate links. I make a commission from sales. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Oven baked chicken chimichangas are baked in the oven instead of deep fried, which cuts back significantly on fat and calories. Perfect for any family night Mexican food dinner.
I really enjoy making these homemade oven baked chicken chimichangas. The butter that is brushed over the top gives the tortillas the perfect crispiness when baked in the oven. They also make a great family meal.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Baked in the oven and not greasy
- Can be made using leftover chicken
- Perfect for a family meal
- Great for meal prep
What you’ll need to make this recipe.
- Boneless, skinkess chicken breast
- Picante sauce
- Dried oregano
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Green onions
- Flour tortillas
How to make this recipe
1 – Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, so it’s ready to go while the chimichangas are being assembled.
2 –In a medium bowl, mix cooked chicken, picante sauce, oregano, cheese and onion together.
3 – Divide the chicken mixture evenly between the tortillas then fold the tortillas tightly into burritos, placing them seam side down into the baking dish.
4 – Brush the tortillas with melted butter.
5 – Place the chimichangas in the oven and cook for approximately 25 minutes.
What do I serve with chicken Chimichangas?
There are so many great sides to serve with chimichangas. A few ideas are refried beans, black beans, Mexican or white rice, grilled zucchini, grilled corn or corn on the cob.
What can I put on top of my chicken Chimichangas?
Some favorites are salsa, sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, sliced avocado, chopped tomatoes, jalapeños, and lime wedges.
How do I store my homemade chimichangas?
Properly stored in an airtight container, the chimichangas will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze homemade chimichangas?
Yes! Properly stored in an airtight container, the chimichangas will last up to 6 months in the freezer.
How to I reheat frozen chimichangas?
Thaw chimichangas in refrigerator overnight, bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. If frozen, bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Calories per serving (1 chimichanga): 336
- 2 cups boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 3/4 cup picante sauce, or your favorite salsa
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 8 - 8" flour tortillas
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a medium bowl, mix chicken, picante sauce, oregano, cheese and onion together.
- Divide chicken mixture evenly in the center of each tortilla.
- Fold tortillas into burritos by folding in sides of tortilla, then rolling tightly until closed. Place burrito seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Brush burritos with melted butter. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- If desired, garnish cooked chimichangas with additional cheese, green onions, and salsa.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush-Small, Multicolor
Goodcook 08929002199 Nonstick Bakeware, Set Of 3 Non-Stick Cookie Sheet, Multicolor
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 6) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set - Easy To Clean, Nesting Bowls for Space Saving Storage, Great for Cooking, Baking, Prepping
New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups Combo, Set of 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 531mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 32g
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Other chicken recipes you’ll love
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!