Oven Baked Chicken Chimichangas Lower-Calorie
Mexican food is one of my all times favorite foods. I love ordering chimichangas when I got out, but they are always deep fried at restaurants and that means it’s loaded with calories. As delicious as it is, it’s easy to consume around 1000 calories in one chimichanga, not to mention the chips and salsa that usually accompany the meal.
I really enjoy making this homemade version that is “oven-fried.” All the flavor is still there, and if you wanted you could eat two (or 3!) for less calories than eating out. The butter that is brushed over the top gives the tortilla the perfect crispiness when baked in the oven. You could top the cooked chimichangas with salsa, guacamole or sour cream too.
The flavors in these chimichangas really wow. I use boneless, skinless chicken breast that I cook then shred. You could also buy a rotisserie chicken and shred that up too to save time. Any picante sauce will work, so if you have a favorite already then that’s great. We rotate different sauces, but feel free to use whatever you like or have on hand.
My kids like helping me make this for dinner, especially brushing the tops with butter. This is a meal the whole family likes and it’s ready in under and hour, with prep time and cooking. My kids like eating rice as a side dish, but I enjoy having a salad on the side.
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Calories per serving (1 chimichanga): 336
This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full disclosure here.
Oven Baked Chicken Chimichangas
- 2 cups boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 3/4 cup picante sauce or your favorite salsa
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 8 8" flour tortillas
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a medium bowl, mix chicken, picante sauce, oregano, cheese and onion together.
- Divide chicken mixture evenly in the center of each tortilla.
- Fold tortillas into burritos by folding in sides of tortilla, then rolling tightly until closed. Place burrito seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Brush burritos with melted butter. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!