Oven baked chicken chimichangas are baked in the oven instead of deep fried, which cuts back significantly on fat and calories. Perfect for any family night Mexican food dinner.
Mexican food is one of my all times favorites. I love ordering chimichangas when I go out, but since they are typically deep fried that means they’re loaded with calories. They’re delicious, but around 1,000 calories for one chimichanga. I really enjoy making this homemade version that is “oven-fried.” All the flavor is still there, and you could eat two (or 3!) for less calories than eating out. The butter that is brushed over the top gives the tortilla the perfect crispiness when baked in the oven.
I use boneless, skinless chicken breast that I cook then shred. You can also buy a rotisserie chicken too and shred that up too to save time. Any picante sauce will work, so if you have a favorite already then that’s great. We rotate different sauces, but feel free to use whatever you like or have on hand. This is a meal the whole family likes and it’s ready in under and hour, with prep time and cooking.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Baked in the oven and not greasy
- Can be made using leftover chicken
- Perfect for a family meal
- Great for meal prep
What you’ll need to make this recipe.
- Boneless, skinkess chicken breast
- Picante sauce
- Dried oregano
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Green onions
- Flour tortillas
How to make this recipe
1 – Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, so it’s ready to go while the chimichangas are being assembled.
2 –In a medium bowl, mix cooked chicken, picante sauce, oregano, cheese and onion together.
3 – Divide the chicken mixture evenly between the tortillas then fold the tortillas tightly into burritos, placing them seam side down into the baking dish.
4 – Brush the tortillas with melted butter.
5 – Place the chimichangas in the oven and cook for approximately 25 minutes.
What do I serve with chicken Chimichangas?
There are so many great sides to serve with chimichangas. A few ideas are refried beans, black beans, Mexican or white rice, grilled zucchini, grilled corn or corn on the cob.
What can I put on top of my chicken Chimichangas?
Some favorites are salsa, sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, sliced avocado, chopped tomatoes, jalapeños, and lime wedges.
How do I store my homemade chimichangas?
Properly stored in an airtight container, the chimichangas will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze homemade chimichangas?
Yes! Properly stored in an airtight container, the chimichangas will last up to 6 months in the freezer.
How to I reheat frozen chimichangas?
Thaw chimichangas in refrigerator overnight, bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. If frozen, bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Calories per serving (1 chimichanga): 336
This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full disclosure here.
Oven Baked Chicken Chimichangas
- 2 cups boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 3/4 cup picante sauce or your favorite salsa
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 8 8" flour tortillas
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a medium bowl, mix chicken, picante sauce, oregano, cheese and onion together.
- Divide chicken mixture evenly in the center of each tortilla.
- Fold tortillas into burritos by folding in sides of tortilla, then rolling tightly until closed. Place burrito seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Brush burritos with melted butter. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- If desired, garnish cooked chimichangas with additional cheese, green onions, and salsa.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Other chicken recipes you’ll love
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!