This post contains affiliate links. I make a commission from sales. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Air fryer parmesan-crusted chicken breast are lightly coated in Greek yogurt and parmesan cheese before being air-fried until crisp and juicy. This low-carb and gluten-free recipe is a healthy weeknight dinner the whole family will love.
If you’re as obsessed with your air fryer as I am, you’ll want to give these parmesan crusted chicken breasts a try. The chicken comes out incredibly tender and the parmesan crust comes out perfectly toasted.
Once you see how easy it is to make this in the air fryer, you’ll be making it regularly. Absolutely delicious homemade “fried” chicken breast made with healthy ingredients in just a few minutes. Low in carbs and calories but high in flavor, this meal is one even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Air fryer cooking is quick -have dinner on the table in 20 minutes or less.
- The parmesan crust is SO crispy and flavorful and the meat is SO tender. The yogurt helps keep the breasts perfectly moist while the crust packs the chicken with flavor.
- It’s low carb, keto-friendly, and a great source of protein.
- Kids love crispy, crunchy, cheesy chicken!
- You can eat it plain, on a salad or in a low carb wrap.
- They are the perfect vehicle for your favorite dipping sauces and dressings.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Breast (skinless, boneless) – Choose smaller breasts that are uniform in size and shape with little to no visible fat.
- Greek Yogurt – Adds moisture, helps tenderize the chicken and helps the parmesan and spices stick to the chicken.
- Parmesan Cheese (shredded) – Serves as the “breading.” It crisps well when air-fried or baked.
- Garlic Powder – Adds light garlic flavor to the parmesan crust.
- Seasoning Salt & Ground Pepper – Enhances the flavor of the whole dish.
How To Make Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast
1 – In a small bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, parmesan, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
2 – Using a spatula, spoon, or butter knife, spread the yogurt mixture onto the chicken breast. Make sure the chicken is coated evenly, top and bottom.
3 – Next, remove the air fryer basket and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
4 – Without overcrowding the basket, place coated chicken in a single layer and cook at 380 degrees for 15 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches.
5 – Check for doneness. The internal temperature of the chicken should be at least 165° F. Measure this at the thickest part of the chicken. Continue cooking until the chicken reaches temperature.
6 – If cooking in batches set cooked chicken aside on a clean plate as you continue cooking the remaining chicken. Enjoy!
- One 4 ounce breast is technically a serving. Keep that in mind when calculating how much chicken you will need. I’d bet on each hungry mouth wanting at least 2 servings.
- If working with larger chicken breasts, it’s best to pound them down flat to ensure even cooking. A quick way to do this is to place the chicken in a large resealable bag and then pound out the breasts from the outside of the sealed bag.
- Instead of pounding out the chicken breasts, you can use chicken precut cutlets.
- Give the chicken enough room in the air fryer basket. If the chicken is too crowded it won’t cook evenly and the crust will turn out soggy.
- Keep an eye on your food, so it doesn’t burn! Begin checking for doneness for around 12 minutes. There are many different air fryer brands and they all heat up differently.
How To Serve Parmesan Chicken Breast
- Keep things light. Slice and serve on a fresh green salad with your favorite vinaigrette.
- For a satisfying keto meal serve with garlic mashed cauliflower and a green veggie, like spinach, asparagus, or broccoli.
- Make chicken parmesan. Simply top cooked parmesan-crusted chicken with your favorite marinara sauce, fresh basil, and more parmesan. Serve with gluten-free pasta, zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, etc.
- Make air-fried chicken tenders. Use chicken tenderloins or slice chicken breasts into strips before coating in the yogurt-parmesan mixture. Adjust cook times accordingly.
- Use mayo instead of Greek yogurt. The fat content helps keep the chicken moist and is also a good way to up the fat if you’re following a keto diet.
- Cut the amount of parmesan in half and use equal parts seasoned Panko breadcrumbs for another layer of crunch and flavor.
- Switch up the flavor by switching up the seasonings. Use your favorite savory spice blend (like garlic & herb or Italian).
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Place cooled chicken in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Freezing: You can freeze cooked chicken breast by placing the cooled chicken in an airtight container or freezer bag. Stored properly, the frozen cooked chicken will last for up to 9 months.
Can I substitute chicken breasts for chicken thighs? You can, but keep in mind the flavor difference between breasts and thighs. If using thighs, they should be boneless and pounded out to 1/2″ thickness.
Why is my chicken dry in the air fryer? Lean meat needs some sort of fat or oil on the surface to prevent it from drying out in the air fryer. In this recipe, Greek yogurt does just that.
How do I reheat air fryer chicken so it’s crispy again? Let the cooked chicken cool to room temperature, place in air fryer basket and reheat 2 to 4 minutes on each side (or until crust is re-crisped and chicken is warmed through).
Calories per serving (1 chicken breast): 197
- 16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1. In a small bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, parmesan, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
2. Using a spatula, spoon, or butter knife, spread the yogurt mixture onto the chicken breast. Make sure the chicken is coated evenly, top and bottom.
3. Next, remove the air fryer basket and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Without overcrowding the basket, place coated chicken in a single layer and cook at 380 degrees for 15 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches.
5. Check for doneness. The internal temperature of the chicken should be at least 165° F. Measure this at the thickest part of the chicken. Continue cooking until the chicken reaches temperature.
6. If cooking in batches set cooked chicken aside on a clean plate as you continue cooking the remaining chicken. Enjoy!
Chicken breasts are measured at 4 ounces each, for a total of 16 ounces.
The internal temperature of the chicken should be at least 165°. Measure this at the thickest part of the chicken. Continue cooking until chicken reaches temperature.
Different air fryer brands may cook at different rates, so be sure to keep on eye on food.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
NEW OXO Good Grips Meat Tenderizer
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 6) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set - Easy To Clean, Nesting Bowls for Space Saving Storage, Great for Cooking, Baking, Prepping
New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups Combo, Set of 8
Power Air Fryer XL 5.3 Quart
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 1012mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 32g
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!