Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks Lower-Calorie
It can be so hard to resist the ooey gooey cheesiness of mozzarella sticks. Especially if you’re a cheese lover like I am. It’s almost safe to bet that any dish containing cheese is a better dish because of said cheese. These air fryer mozzarella cheese sticks are no exception. Since it’s basically straight cheese, it’s bound to be good. Air frying them also drastically cuts back on calories compared to deep frying.
This recipe alone is a great reason to own an air fryer. It’s been one of my favorite kitchen gadgets and I don’t even mind that it takes up so much space on my counter. It’s worth it. Making these mozzarella sticks is a fairly simply process and it doesn’t require many ingredients. 5 to be exact, with cheese being the star, of course.
It took me several attempts to get this recipe just right. I recommend when coating the cheese with the breadcrumbs, to make sure you coat the cheese well. Not leaving any cheese exposed. I learned the hard way that if there is an area where the cheese is exposed before going into the air fryer, then the cheese will ooze out of the breading. It leaves a cheese puddle in the air fryer basket, and a hollow cheese stick.
I also recommend keeping an eye on your cheese sticks while they are in the air fryer. They can go from perfect to burnt fairly quickly. I found that cooking them for two minutes on each side, for a total of 4 minutes, worked perfectly for me. My favorite dip for these is marinara sauce, so I always have that on the side.
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Calories per serving (4 sticks): 276
This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full disclosure here.
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- 16 oz mozzarella block cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Cut cheese into 3 x 1/2 inch sticks.
- Place bread crumbs in a bowl. Place flour in a bowl. Mix the egg and milk together in a bowl.
- Dip cheese sticks in flour, then egg, and then bread crumbs.
- Lay breaded sticks flat on a cookie sheet.
- Freeze in freezer for 2 hours or until solid.
- Set air fryer to 390° and preheat for about 5 minutes. Spray basket with non-stick cooking spray. Take basket out to spray, don't spray into air fryer.
- Place small batches of breaded sticks into fryer basket. Do not overcrowd.
- Cook at 390° for 2 minutes. Flip mozzarella sticks and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!