Air fryer mozzarella sticks made from scratch made with only 5 ingredients. Cut back on calories by air frying rather than deep frying.
It can be so hard to resist the ooey gooey cheesiness of mozzarella sticks. Especially if you’re a cheese lover like I am. These air fryer mozzarella cheese sticks are no exception. Air frying them also drastically cuts back on calories as opposed to deep frying. Making these mozzarella sticks is a fairly simple process and it doesn’t require many ingredients. 5 to be exact, with cheese being the star, of course.
What you’ll need to make this recipe.
- Mozzarella block cheese
- Nonfat milk
- All purpose flour
How to make Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
Start by cutting a 16 oz. block of mozzarella cheese into 3 x 1/2″ squares. This should give you 24 sticks of cheese. Add the bread crumbs in one bowl and flour in a different bowl. Then, in a third bowl, mix the egg and milk together. Dip the cheese sticks in the flour, then egg, and then bread crumbs until all the cheese sticks have been coated in bread crumbs. Lay the breaded cheese sticks flat on a cookie sheet and freeze for about 2 hours until they are solid.
When coating the cheese with the breadcrumbs, I recommend making sure to coat the cheese well not leaving any cheese exposed. If there are areas where the cheese is exposed before going into the air fryer, then the cheese will ooze out of the breading. It leaves a cheese puddle in the air fryer basket, and a hollow cheese stick.
Once the cheese sticks are frozen, set the air fryer to 390 degrees and preheat for about 5 minutes. Spray the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray. I recommend taking the basket out to spray and not spray directly into the air fryer. Place small batches of breaded cheese sticks into the air fryer basket being carful not to overcrowd. Cook for 2 minutes, then flip the cheese sticks over and cook for another 2 minutes.
I also recommend keeping an eye on your cheese sticks while they are in the air fryer. They can go from perfect to burnt fairly quickly. I found that cooking them for two minutes on each side, for a total of 4 minutes, worked perfectly for me.
What do I serve with Mozzarella Sticks?
Mozzarella sticks can be served with tomato sauce or marinara sauce, as well as plum sauce, jalapeño jelly, barbecue sauce, honey mustard sauce, and ranch dressing. Most dipping sauces will work.
How long can I freeze the uncooked mozzarella sticks?
If you’re not ready to air fry all 24 sticks at once, keep the uncooked mozzarella sticks in the freezer. Properly stored in an airtight container they will last for about 8 months.
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Calories per serving (4 sticks): 276
This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full disclosure here.
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks - Lower-Calorie
- 16 oz mozzarella block cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Cut cheese into 3 x 1/2 inch sticks.
- Place bread crumbs in a bowl. Place flour in a bowl. Mix the egg and milk together in a bowl.
- Dip cheese sticks in flour, then egg, and then bread crumbs.
- Lay breaded sticks flat on a cookie sheet.
- Freeze in freezer for 2 hours or until solid.
- Set air fryer to 390° and preheat for about 5 minutes. Spray basket with non-stick cooking spray. Take basket out to spray, don't spray into air fryer.
- Place small batches of breaded sticks into fryer basket. Do not overcrowd.
- Cook at 390° for 2 minutes. Flip mozzarella sticks and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Be sure to coat mozzarellas sticks well with breadcrumbs so no cheese is showing. This will prevent cheese from oozing out during cooking.
- Serve with marinara sauce.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!
If you like Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks, then you might also like: