Slow cooker sweet and sour chicken is perfect for those busy weeknights. This will quickly become a family favorite.
The slow cooker has been one of my all-time favorite kitchen appliances for years. It never lets me down when I know I’m going to have a busy day, and not a lot of time to spend cooking in the kitchen. This slow cooker sweet and sour chicken only takes a few steps and it’s so worth it. This dish can be served as is, or with your favorite side. Warm, hot rice is one of our favorites.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- The slow cooker does most of the work
- Perfect meal to come home to after a long day
- Makes a great family meal
- Pairs with rice or your favorite side dish
What you’ll need to make this recipe.
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Green bell pepper
- Apple cider vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Reduced sodium soy sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
How to make this recipe
1 – Warm up the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat
2 – Place the paprika in a large resealable zip top bag. Add the chunks of chicken to the bag a little at a time and shake until the paprika coats the chicken. Repeat until all the chicken is coated.
3 – Brown the chicken in the heated skillet in batches. Once the chicken is browned, transfer it to the slow cooker.
4 – In a large bowl, drain the pineapple juice from the can of pineapple chunks. Place the can of drained pineapples in the fridge and save for later.
5 – Add the green pepper, onion, vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and salt to the pineapple juice. Mix well, then add to the slow cooker.
6 – Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or until chicken is tender.
7 – Combine the cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the chicken mixture. Add pineapple chunks. Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes, or until sauce is thickened.
How do I store my homemade sweet and sour chicken?
Place cooled sweet and sour chicken in an airtight container. Properly stored, it will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Calories per serving (1 cup): 224
This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full disclosure here.
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes or strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 20 oz can pineapple chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Place paprika in a large resealable zip top bag. Add a few pieces of chicken and shake to coat. Repeat until all chicken in coated. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil to medium-high heat. Brown the chicken in oil in batches. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Drain pineapple juice from canned pineapple and add to slow cooker. Place pineapple chunks in the refrigerator. Add chopped onion, chopped green pepper, vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and salt to slow cooker. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 1/2 hours, until chicken is tender. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into slow cooker. Add pineapple chunks. Cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes, until sauce has thickened.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Other slow cooker recipes you’ll love
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!