This post contains affiliate links. I make a commission from sales. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Slow cooker chicken stew is a hearty meal cooked right in the crockpot for a delicious family meal. Serve with your favorite bread or side salad.
Slow cooker chicken stew is a delicious meal with chicken, red potatoes, onions, celery and carrots. Healthy weeknight dinners can be challenging, but they don’t have to be! This slow cooker, protein packed chicken stew recipe is easy to make.
This hearty chicken stew practically cooks itself with tender chunks of chicken and savory veggies.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s easy to make and very adaptable! If you prefer chicken breasts, you can use them instead of chicken thighs.
- Chicken stew is the perfect meal on a cold day. Hearty, thick, and delicious.
- Prepared with very simple ingredients that have just the right amount of rich flavor.
- This easy chicken stew recipe is simple to make and super comforting!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- All-purpose flour
- Garlic powder
- Dried thyme
- Ground black pepper
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Chicken broth
- Baby red potatoes
- Baby carrots
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
1 – Mix the flour, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Set aside.
2 – Add the broth to the slow cooker. Place the chicken and any loose flour into the liquid. Top with potatoes, carrots, celery and onions.
3 – Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Remove lid and add peas. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: Refrigerate the chicken stew in an airtight container. Properly stored, cooked chicken stew will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Freezing: Place the cooled chicken stew in a freezer safe zip top bag. Lay flat in the freezer to freeze. Stew can be kept frozen for up to 3 months.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper,
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-2” pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound baby red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 12 ounces baby carrots
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- Mix the flour, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Add the broth to the slow cooker. Place chicken and any loose flour into liquid. Top with potatoes, carrots, celery and onions.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Remove lid and add peas; adjust seasoning to taste.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 6) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set - Easy To Clean, Nesting Bowls for Space Saving Storage, Great for Cooking, Baking, Prepping
New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups Combo, Set of 8
Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S-A 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker with Digital Timer, Stainless Steel
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 1512mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 6gSugar: 7gProtein: 24g
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.