Slow Cooker Beef Stew – Low-Calorie
This slow cooker beef stew recipe is mouthwatering and lower in calories per serving. Perfect for dinner on those cooler nights.
I adore a hearty bowl of stew on a cold day. Those of you not from Arizona may not believe that it ever gets cold here, but it actually does. Currently we have lows in the 40’s and highs in the 60’s. Brr. Okay, in all seriousness, that is cold weather for Arizona, and also the perfect time to break out recipes for soups and stews.
I hadn’t made stew in so long, but I love them and I’m glad I did because it hit the spot. Hearty chunks of beef, veggies, and a mouthwatering broth, equals the perfect dinner for a cool evening. The entire family loved this low-calorie recipe, so it’s a keeper for sure.
What are your favorite types of soups and stews to make? This Slow Cooker Beef Stew is a great way to get in those veggies and the kids will eat them without complaints in this stew. They are cooked down in the broth and the flavor of the veggies, potatoes and meat together taste wonderful. We love slow cooker meals in our house because we have a lot of busy afternoons where there isn’t always time to cook. Instead of grabbing something quick and unhealthy, this can be prepared quickly in the morning, and left cook all day in the slow cooker and be ready to eat by dinnertime.
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Lean beef stew meat
- Olive oil
- Vegetable broth
- Black pepper
- Red bell pepper
- Bay leaves
- Beef broth
- Fire roasted tomatoes
Calories per serving (1 cup): 383
This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full disclosure here.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew - Low-Calorie
- 1 lb lean beef stew meat, 1" cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef broth, fat-free and low-sodium
- 1 14 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- Coat the beef with the flour. Shake off the excess then sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan with extra-virgin olive oil, brown the floured beef, then pour in the vegetable broth. Cook until sauce is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the beef and its sauce to the slow cooker.
- Add onion, garlic, potatoes, carrots, celery, red peppers, bay leaves, broth, tomatoes, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high 4-6 hours. Enjoy!
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Connect with Simply Low Cal! Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!
If you like Slow Cooker Beef Stew, then you might also like: