This post contains affiliate links. I make a commission from sales. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Low-calorie corn bread makes a great side to any Fall soup or chili. Made to be lower in calories while still high in flavor.
Corn bread is a great side dish to so many different dishes. My all time favorite is eating corn bread with a bowl of hearty chili. If you’ve never made corn bread from scratch before, it’s super easy and tastes better than the boxed mixes from the store.
This recipe for low-calorie corn bread bakes in under 30 minutes. If you like a little heat to your corn bread, feel free to add some jalapeños.
Cornbread is also delicious topped with butter, honey or jam!
What dishes go with corn bread?
Some top favorites are chili, stew, soups, beans, veggies, and BBQ dishes.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Bakes in under 30 minutes
- Lower in calories than traditional corn breads
- Goes great with a variety of different dishes
What you’ll need to make this recipe.
- Yellow cornmeal
- Baking powder
- Granulated sugar
- Fat free sour cream
- No salt added cream-style corn
- Reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
How to make this recipe
1 – Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2 – In a medium size bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
3 – In a large size bowl, combine the butter, sour cream, creamed corn, cheese, egg, and egg whites together well with a wooden spoon.
4 – Mix in the cornmeal mixture until well combined.
5 – Pour batter into baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
How do I store my leftover corn bread?
Wrap leftover corn bread in aluminum foil and store on the counter for 1-2 days. The aluminum foil helps to keep the corn bread from drying out.
You can also store corn bread in the refrigerator. Wrap corn bread that is completely cooled in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to a week. To reheat, remove plastic wrapping and place in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Can I freeze leftover corn bread?
Yes! Once the corn bread is completely cooled, place it in freezer safe reusable bags and squeeze out the excess air and seal the bag closed. Properly stored, corn bread will last in the freezer for 2-3 months.
To reheat, thaw out frozen cornbread. Place in the refrigerator overnight, or leave out on counter for a few hours. Remove from resealable bag and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Calories per serving (1/12 of the cornbread): 108
Low-Calorie Corn Bread
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal, PLUS
- 3 tbsp yellow cornmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 3/4 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 cup no salt added cream-style corn
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Spray 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a large bowl, using a wooden spoon, combine together the butter, sour cream, creamed corn, cheese, egg, and egg whites.
- Mix in the cornmeal mixture until well combined.
- Pour batter into baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Other recipes you’ll love
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!