Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup – Lower-Calorie
Instant Pot loaded potato soup is perfect for those cooler months. Hearty and full of flavor while being low in calories.
I was happy to pull out my Instant Pot to make this loaded potato soup. If you love baked potato soup, then I know you will love this recipe. It doesn’t take a lot of ingredients and it really comes together quickly. Potato soups are a big comfort food, and with the addition of cheese it’s hard sometimes to stop at only one bowl. I added bacon to my soup because I believe that bacon makes everything better. The saltiness it gives to the soup is really good.
What are russet potatoes?
Russet potatoes are the most common variety of potato in the United States. They are are high in antioxidants, are a good source of iron and magnesium.
The Instant Pot makes this soup easy and quick. Start by placing the butter in the pot and turning on the sauté button. Melt the butter, then add in the onions and cook for a few minutes, until soft. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute while stirring so garlic doesn’t burn. Next, add in the chicken broth, soup, potatoes, salt, and pepper and stir well. Put the lid on and close the vent valve. Cook over manual high pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
While the soup is cooking, stir together the milk and flour in a small bowl to make a slurry. After soup is done cooking, oven valve carefully. Once steam has completely released and the pin has dropped on the lid, open the lid and stir in the slurry. Turn the pot on to sauté and cook the soup for about 5 minutes, until it’s thickened. Stir in the 2 cups of cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
What toppings go on Potato Soup?
You can add whatever toppings you’d like such as additional shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, green onion, or sour cream.
How long does Loaded potato soup last in the refrigerator?
Homemade loaded potato soup will last for about 3 to 4 days in an air tight container in the fridge.
Can I freeze loaded potato soup?
Yes, loaded potato soup can be stored safely in the freezer for 2 to 3 months in a freezer safe resealable bag. However, potatoes tend to change consistency after they’ve been defrosted, so the soup may not be the same.
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Ingredients for Loaded Potato Soup Instant Pot
- Chicken broth
- Cream of chicken soup
- Russet potatoes
- Black pepper
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Calories per serving (1 cup): 358
This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full disclosure here.
Loaded Potato Soup Instant Pot - Low-Calorie
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 10.5 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 8 medium sized russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1" cubes
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Turn on the sauté button on the Instant Pot, add butter and melt. Add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic. Cook for additional 1 minute, while stirring, so garlic doesn't burn.
- Add in chicken broth, canned soup, potatoes, salt, and pepper to the pot, stir well. Put lid on the Instant Pot and close the vent valve. Cook over manual high pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
- While soup is cooking, stir together the milk and flour in a small bowl to create a slurry.
- After soup is done cooking, oven valve carefully. Once steam has completely released and the pin has dropped on the lid, open the lid and stir in the slurry. Turn pot on to sauté and cook the soup for 4-5 minutes, until thickened. Stir in the 2 cups of cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- If desired, serve soup garnished with chopped bacon, green onions, and more cheese.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!
If you like Loaded Potato Soup Instant Pot, then you might also like: