This post contains affiliate links. I make a commission from sales. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This bowl of this creamy taco soup is sure to satisfy and is low in calories. It’s easy to make and comes together in a short amount of time.
I typically enjoy soups years round, but love them especially when it’s cooler out. This soup is made on the stovetop, but can also be made in the slow cooker to save some time in the afternoon.
The broccoli is my favorite part of this soup for the added fiber and the flavor it adds. If you don’t like broccoli, especially in a taco soup, feel free to omit it. It will still taste delicious without it.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Comforting homemade meal
- Great family meal
- Low in calories and delicious
What you’ll need to make this recipe.
- 93/7 ground beef
- Canned stewed tomatoes
- Black beans
- Pinto beans
- Frozen broccoli
- Fat free cream cheese
- Fat free vanilla Greek yogurt
- Ranch mix
- Taco seasoning
How to make this recipe
1 – Brown the ground beef over medium-high heat in a large pot. Once the ground beef is done cooking, drain it and return it to the pot.
2 – Add an envelope of taco seasoning and stir it into the ground beef.
3 – Add all the canned ingredients, water, broccoli, and remaining taco seasoning and dry ranch mix and stir to combine. Heat until the frozen broccoli begins to soften, stirring often. Reduce heat to low.
4 – Lastly, add cream cheese and Greek yogurt to the pot and simmer for 10 minutes, until cream cheese and yogurt are blended with no lumps.
A tip: If you want to make this recipe into a dip for tortilla chips, or to put over tortilla chips in nacho form, you can eliminate the water and it will give the recipe a thicker consistency. However, if you plan to eat in a bowl with a spoon like soup, then proceed with the water. 🙂
Creamy Taco Soup Slow cooker method
To make in the slow cooker, follow the same steps as the stovetop version. Then, cook on low for 3-4 hours to heat everything through.
What can I eat with taco soup?
Chopped cilantro or green onion, hot sauce and avocado for toppings. Corn chips, tortilla chips, rolls or cornbread for the side.
How do I store taco soup?
Place cooled soup in an airtight container. Properly stored, taco soup will last for 3 days in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze taco soup?
Yes! Place soup in a freezer safe resealable bag and lay flat to freeze. Properly stored, taco soup will be good for 4 to 6 months in the freezer.
Calories per serving (approx. 1 cup): 162
- 2 lbs 93/7 ground beef
- 2 oz reduced sodium taco seasoning mix packets, divided
- 4.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies, like Rotel
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can corn, drained and rinsed
- 12 oz frozen broccoli florets
- 1 cup water
- 8 oz fat free cream cheese, room temperature
- 5.3 oz container fat free vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 oz ranch salad and dressing seasoning mix packet
- In a large pot, brown ground beef over medium-high heat. Drain and return to pot. Add one envelope of taco seasoning and stir into the ground beef.
- Add all the canned ingredients, water, broccoli, and remaining taco seasoning and dry ranch mix. Stir to combine.
- Heat until the frozen broccoli begins to soften, stirring often. Reduce heat to low.
- Add cream cheese and Greek yogurt to the pot and simmer for 10 minutes, until cream cheese and yogurt are blended with no lumps.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips Nylon Ladle
OXO Good Grips Utensil Set, 3-Piece,Brown
Makerstep Stainless Steel Fine Mesh Strainers. Set of 3 Graduated Sizes Strainer Wire Sieve with Insulated Handle for Kitchen, Cooking, Food Preparation. Premium Stainless Steel, Lightweight
OXO Good Grips 2-Cup Angled Measuring Cup,Clear,2 Cup
GreenPan Paris 8 Quart Non-Stick Dishwasher Safe Ceramic Covered Stockpot, Gray -
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 644mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 17g
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Other Soup Recipes You’ll Love
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!