Creamy Taco Soup – Low-Calorie, Gluten-Free, Low-Carb
This bowl of this creamy taco soup is sure to satisfy and is low in calories. It’s easy to make and comes together in a short amount of time.
This time of year is great for soups, especially if you live where the weather stays cold for longer. I typically enjoy soups years round, but love them especially when it’s cooler out. This is a great family meal that comes together fairly quickly on the stovetop. This can also be made in the slow cooker to save some time in the afternoon. Just throw all of these ingredients into a slow cooker and let your soup cook on low for several hours to heat everything through. Be sure to cook the ground beef beforehand though as it won’t cook properly if you put it in raw.
The broccoli is my favorite part of this soup for the added fiber and the flavor it adds. If you don’t like broccoli, especially in a taco soup, feel free to omit it. It will still taste delicious without it.
To make this soup, start by browning ground beef over medium-high heat in a large pot. Once the ground beef is done cooking, drain it and return it to the pot. Add an envelope of taco seasoning and stir it into the ground beef. Then, add all the canned ingredients, water, broccoli, and remaining taco seasoning and dry ranch mix and stir to combine. Heat until the frozen broccoli begins to soften, stirring often. Reduce heat to low. Lastly, add cream cheese and Greek yogurt to the pot and simmer for 10 minutes, until cream cheese and yogurt are blended with no lumps.
A tip: If you want to make this recipe into a dip for tortilla chips, or to put over tortilla chips in nacho form, you can eliminate the water and it will give the recipe a thicker consistency. However, if you plan to eat in a bowl with a spoon like soup, then proceed with the water. 🙂
What can I eat with taco soup?
Chopped cilantro or green onion, hot sauce and avocado for toppings. Corn chips, tortilla chips, rolls or cornbread for the side.
How do I store taco soup?
Place cooled soup in an air tight container. Properly stored, taco soup will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze taco soup?
Yes! Place soup in a freezer safe resealable bag and lay flat to freeze. Properly stored, taco soup will be good for 4 to 6 months in the freezer.
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Ingredients for Creamy Taco Soup
- 93/7 ground beef
- Canned stewed tomatoes
- Black beans
- Pinto beans
- Frozen broccoli
- Fat free cream cheese
- Fat free vanilla Greek yogurt
- Ranch mix
- Taco seasoning
Calories per serving (approx. 1 cup): 162
This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full disclosure here.
Creamy Taco Soup - Low-Calorie, Gluten-Free, Low-Carb
- 2 lbs 93/7 ground beef
- 2 1oz reduced sodium taco seasoning mix packets, divided
- 4.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies, like Rotel
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can corn, drained and rinsed
- 12 oz frozen broccoli florets
- 1 cup water
- 8 oz fat free cream cheese, room temperature
- 5.3 oz container fat free vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 1oz ranch salad and dressing seasoning mix packet
- In a large pot, brown ground beef over medium-high heat. Drain and return to pot. Add one envelope of taco seasoning and stir into the ground beef.
- Add all the canned ingredients, water, broccoli, and remaining taco seasoning and dry ranch mix. Stir to combine.
- Heat until the frozen broccoli begins to soften, stirring often. Reduce heat to low.
- Add cream cheese and Greek yogurt to the pot and simmer for 10 minutes, until cream cheese and yogurt are blended with no lumps.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!
If you like Creamy Taco Soup, then you might also like: