This post contains affiliate links. I make a commission from sales. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Low-calorie chicken fajitas are sure to satisfy the pickiest of palates. Flavorful, filling and sure to be a new family favorite.
One thing I love about chicken fajitas is that it’s made all in one pan on the stove top. The peppers and onions add great flavor to this dish.
I love colorful dishes, so I used red, green, and yellow bell peppers. I like to buy whatever is the freshest at the time I’m shopping. These low-calorie chicken fajitas are great wrapped in your favorite tortilla too.
What are bell peppers?
Bell peppers are fruits that are related to chili peppers and tomatoes, all of which are native to Central and South America.
They come in various colors, such as red, yellow, orange, and green. The green pepper changes to yellow or orange before reaching its most ripened color of red.
What are the benefits of eating bell peppers?
Bell peppers are mainly made up of water and carbs, which account for most of their calorie content. They have a decent amount of fiber and are high in vitamin C. Other vitamins and minerals in bell peppers include vitamin K1, vitamin E, vitamin A, folate, and potassium.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Made all in one pan
- Great family meal
- Low in carbs and calories
What you’ll need to make this recipe.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast
- Red bell pepper
- Green bell pepper
- Yellow bell pepper
- Yellow onion
- Olive oil
- Dried oregano
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
How to make this recipe
1 – Combine dried oregano, garlic powder, salt, chili powder and olive oil in a large bowl. Add the sliced chicken and toss to coat well. Marinate the chicken in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.
2 – Add olive oil to a skillet and heat over high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add in the sliced peppers, onion, chili powder, and salt.
3 – Sauté the peppers and onions for about 4-5 minutes or until they are slightly softened. Remove the peppers and onions from the skillet onto a plate and set aside.
4 – Reduce the heat to medium and add the chicken and marinade to the skillet and sauté until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
5 – Add the peppers and onions back into the pan along with the lime juice and cilantro. Stir everything together well and serve!
What toppings can I put on my chicken fajitas?
Shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, shredded lettuce, cilantro and Pico de Gallo are popular toppings.
What can I serve with chicken fajitas?
Refried beans, black beans, Spanish rice and tortillas are great side dish options.
How do I store my chicken fajitas?
Place leftovers in an airtight container. They will last for about 3 days in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze chicken fajitas?
Yes! Place fajitas in a freezer safe bag, squeezing out any excess air, and freeze for up to 3 months.
Calories per serving (1 cup): 206
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided in half
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided in half
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl combine dried oregano, garlic powder, half of the salt, half of the chili powder, half of the olive oil.
- Add sliced chicken and toss to coat well. Marinate in fridge for 15-30 minutes.
- While chicken in marinating, add the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil to skillet and heat over high heat.
- Once the skillet is hot add in the sliced peppers, onion, chili powder, and remainder 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Sauté the peppers and onions for about 4-5 minutes or until they are slightly softened.
- Remove the peppers and onions from the skillet onto a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the chicken and marinade to skillet and sauté until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Add the peppers and onions back into the skillet along with the lime juice and cilantro.
- Stir everything together well, then serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
GreenPan Lima 12" Ceramic Non-Stick Covered Frypan, Gray - CW0004157
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 6) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set - Easy To Clean, Nesting Bowls for Space Saving Storage, Great for Cooking, Baking, Prepping
Stainless Steel Knife Set with Block 17 Piece Set Kitchen Knives Set Chef Knife Set with Knife Sharpener, 6 Steak Knives with Bonus Peeler Scissors Cheese Pizza Knife and Acrylic Stand by Home Hero
Gorilla Grip Original Oversized Cutting Board, 3 Piece, BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen, Set of 3, Black
New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups Combo, Set of 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 691mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 27g
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Other chicken recipes you’ll love
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!