This post contains affiliate links. I make a commission from sales. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Greek lemon chicken soup is a comforting soup with a punch of lemon flavor. Made with rice, chicken, vegetables, eggs, and lots of lemon and fresh herbs! It’s a great family meal that is quick and easy to make on the stovetop.
Greek lemon chicken soup is an egg-lemon soup packed with shredded chicken and white rice. It is a Greek style lemon chicken soup with rice that is thickened with eggs. Also known as, Avgolemon, a Greek word that when broken down means, “egg” and “lemon.”
It has all the deliciousness of a cream-based soup without any of the cream, making it a healthy comfort food.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The perfect way to use up leftover chicken.
- A hearty chicken soup that’s full of lemon flavor.
- So easy to make on the stovetop, and in just one pot.
- This dish is a simple, make ahead dinner idea.
What you’ll need to make this recipe.
- Olive Oil
- Black Pepper
- Chicken broth
- Rotisserie Chicken
- Instant White Rice
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Fresh Parsley
How To Make This Recipe
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, salt and pepper. Sauté for about 8-10 minutes.
Add garlic and cook for another minute.
Stir in broth and chicken, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Stir in rice and cook for 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs and lemon juice. Using a ladle, transfer a ladle full of the soup broth from the pot to the bowl of egg mixture, then whisk. Repeat.
Slowly add the egg mixture to the pot, stirring to thicken.
Step 7: Serve garnished with parsley, optional.
How Do I Store Leftover Lemon Chicken Soup?
Allow the soup to cool to room temperature, and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can I Freeze Lemon Chicken Soup?
Transfer soup to an airtight freezer-safe container or freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to use, thaw overnight in the refrigerator then reheat on the stovetop.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups pulled rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup instant white rice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh parley, chopped, optional
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, salt and pepper. Sauté for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in broth and chicken, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in rice and cook for 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs and lemon juice. Using a ladle, transfer a ladle full of the soup broth from the pot to the bowl of egg mixture, then whisk. Repeat.
- Slowly add the egg mixture to the pot, stirring to thicken.
- Serve garnished with parsley, optional.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 970mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 16g