This post contains affiliate links. I make a commission from sales. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Slow cooker BBQ chicken drumsticks are so flavorful. Finished off in the broiler for that added crisp. Tastes like it was grilled, but with that fall off the bone goodness.
Chicken is of our family go-to meals around here. Mostly because it’s affordable and everyone in the family likes it.
These slow cooker BBQ chicken drumsticks are far from bland. They are super flavorful and a family favorite that everyone eats and no one complains about. Win-win!
What are the benefits of eating chicken?
Chicken is a great source of lean, low fat protein. Vitamins such as A, B6, B12, niacin, thiamine or riboflavin, or minerals such as iron, zinc, magnesium, potassium or phosphorus are present in chicken.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Flavorful chicken
- Great for the whole family
- Slow cooker does most of the work
- Easy to make
What you’ll need to make this recipe.
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Ground mustard
- Brown Sugar
- Cayenne pepper
- BBQ Sauce
How to make this recipe
1 – Add the brown sugar, garlic and onion powders, ground mustard and paprika to a large resealable bag and shake to mix seasonings.
2 – Add one drumstick to the bag and shake to coat the drumstick. Remove and add to the slow cooker. Repeat until all 12 drumsticks are coated in the seasonings.
It’s ok to layer the drumsticks in the crockpot.
3 – Drizzle about half a cup of the BBQ sauce over the top of the chicken drumsticks. Cover and cook on low for about 6-7 hours.
4 – Once the drumsticks are done in the slow cooker, turn oven broiler to high.
5 – Cover a baking sheet with foil and lay the drumsticks out in a single layer. Brush half cup of BBQ sauce over the drumsticks, flip them over and brush with remaining half cup of BBQ sauce.
6 – Place drumsticks in the broiler for 3 minutes, flip the drumsticks over and broil for another 3 minutes.
Take out and enjoy!
How do I store cooked chicken drumsticks?
Place cooled drumsticks in an airtight container. Properly stored, cooked chicken will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Calories per serving (2 drumsticks): 308
- 12 chicken drumsticks, bone in, skin on
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp ground mustard
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cup bbq sauce, any kind
- Combine all the seasonings and spices, along with the sugar, in a large resealable bag. Place a chicken drumstick in the bag, shake to coat, then add to slow cooker. Repeat until all 12 of the drumsticks are coated and placed in slow cooker. It's okay to layer drumsticks in slow cooker.
- Drizzle 1/2 cup barbecue sauce over the chicken drumsticks. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Turn oven on to high broil. Cover large baking sheet with foil and arrange chicken drumsticks in a single layer. Brush drumsticks with 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, flip and brush with remaining 1/2 cup barbecue sauce.
- Broil for 3 minutes on once side, flip and broil on other side for an additional 3 minutes until crisp.
- The internal temperature of the chicken should be at least 165 degrees. Measure this at the thickest part of the chicken near the bone. Continue cooking until chicken reaches temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush-Small, Multicolor
Goodcook 08929002199 Nonstick Bakeware, Set Of 3 Non-Stick Cookie Sheet, Multicolor
New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups Combo, Set of 8
Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S-A 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker with Digital Timer, Stainless Steel
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 00gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 947mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 2gSugar: 28gProtein: 17g
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Other chicken recipes you’ll love
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!