Air fryer crispy tortilla chips cut calories over deep frying. They are perfect for salsa dipping and come together in under 10 minutes.
The air fryer is one of the best investments I’ve made for my kitchen. Many foods that are typically deep fried can be air fried instead, and doing this significantly cuts back on calories. If you are unfamiliar with how the air fryer works, it basically works by circulating hot air around the food to produce a crunchy, crispy exterior. Deep-fried foods are generally higher in fat, but using an air fryer can cut the fat content of fried foods by up to 75%. Air fryers do a fantastic job cooking anything that’s meant to taste deep-fried. These air fryer crispy tortilla chips are a a great starter recipe too.
Is air frying food healthy?
Air fryers require less oil than traditionally frying foods, making them generally healthier than immersing food in oil. Using an air fryer for foods like French fries, chips or fried chicken can cut calories and fat content.
Are corn tortillas healthy?
Corn tortillas contain corn, which is considered a whole grain and are usually lower in calories than their white flour tortilla counterparts.
Do air fryers make food crispy?
Air fryers cook food by circulating streams of extremely hot air around the cavity of the air fryer, where the food is located. This method of cooking leaves the food with a crispy outer layer. Some recipes require some oil to get a crispier texture.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Makes a great appetizer or snack
- Cooked to perfection in the air fryer
- Perfect crispness for dipping
What you’ll need to make this recipe.
- Yellow corn street taco tortillas
- Cooking spray
How to make this recipe
1 – Cut each street taco sized corn tortillas in to 4 triangles.
2 – Once the tortillas are cut up into triangles, lay them on a baking sheet and spray them with a zero-calorie olive oil spray. You can brush on real olive oil instead if you’d like.
3 – Sprinkle them with salt. A lot of the salt will fall off while in the air fryer.
4 – Depending on the size of your air fryer basket, the chips may take some time to cook. It’s best to place them in a single layer since stacking the tortillas will prevent them from cooking evenly. Some parts of the tortilla won’t crisp up properly if they are too crowded in the basket.
5 – Cook the chips at 360 degrees for 5 minutes, flipping over half way through.
Be sure too keep an eye on them toward the end because they can get brown and burn very quickly if left too long.
How do I store the tortilla chips?
Once all the chips have cooled completely, store them in a resealable zip top bag. They should last for 3-5 days at from temperature.
To warm the tortilla chips, place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds.
Calories per serving (3 tortillas): 90
This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full disclosure here.
Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- 3 Mission yellow corn street taco tortillas
- zero calorie olive oil spray
- salt, to taste
- Cut each tortilla into 4 triangles. Lay flat on baking sheet.
- Spray the tortillas lightly with the olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt, to taste. Much of the salt will fall off during cooking.
- Place the tortilla triangles into the air fryer basket. Make sure to spread out into a single layer so triangles aren't overlapping much.
- Cook at 360°, flipping the triangles over half way through cooking. Check on triangles 5 minutes after cooking to ensure they don't get too brown. They get brown very quickly towards the end of cooking time.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Different air fryer brands may cook at different rates, so be sure to keep on eye on food.
Other air fryer recipes you’ll love
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!