Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream – Lower-Calorie
This fresh strawberry ice cream comes together quick with an Ice cream maker. It’s a perfect way to beat the summer heat.
It’s summertime and that means I’ve had my ice cream maker out many times already. I love making homemade ice cream, and of course, my kids love it too. We’ve been experimenting with some different flavors. My kids love adding Oreos and making cookies and cream ice cream. My favorite so far is making fresh strawberry ice cream. Fresh strawberries give this ice cream an amazing flavor. I am currently obsessed with strawberries because it’s the time of year where they are fresh and inexpensive. You can definitely change up the fruit in this recipe though if you want to. There are so many wonderful seasonal fruits.
What are the benefits of eating fresh strawberries?
Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C and manganese and are very rich in antioxidants. Fresh summer strawberries are one of the most popular, refreshing, and nutritious fruits available.
Ice cream often goes on sale in the summer, and I’ve seen my local grocery store sell their store brand for as low as $.99 cents a carton. That is a pretty screaming deal since it’s hard to make ice cream homemade for that price. However, checking out the impressively long ingredients list leaves me wondering what some of those ingredients are and how to pronounce them. This homemade version uses only 6 ingredients which can easily be found in your local grocery store.
Making this ice cream is super simple with an ice cream maker. First, I add my fresh strawberries to a food processor to process them down into small pieces. Then, in a separate bowl I whisk together milk, sugar, and salt until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Add the strawberries, with juices, from the food processor and combine everything together. After that I refrigerate it for about an hour.
Once the ice cream mixture is chilled, pour it into the ice cream maker and let it churn for approximately 15-20 minutes until the ice cream has a soft, creamy texture. After it’s done churning, I put the ice cream into an air tight container and freeze it for a couple hours. Remove the container from the freezer about 15 minutes before serving and that’s it, homemade ice cream!
How do I store Fresh Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream?
Store ice cream in a freezer-safe, airtight container. Homemade ice cream will keep in the freezer for about two weeks in an airtight container. Place a layer of plastic wrap between your ice cream and the lid to help prevent freezer burn
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Ingredients for Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream
- Whole milk
- Granulated sugar
- Heavy cream
- Vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries
Calories per serving (1/2 cup): 192
This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full disclosure here.
Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream - Lower-Calorie, Gluten-Free
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- Place strawberries in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add milk, sugar, and salt. Whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in heavy cream and vanilla. Add strawberries with juices and combine everything together. Cover and refigerate for about an hour.
- Turn on ice cream maker and pour in the ice cream mixture. Let mix until thickened, about 15-20 minutes. Ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture.
- Transfer ice cream to an air tight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
- Frozen strawberries can be substituted if fresh strawberries aren't available.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!
If you like Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream, then you might also like: